Lead, Copper & Zinc Roofs
We have used Permadeck successfully over many years, often on listed buildings, as a great alternative to Lead, Copper and Zinc. As well as colour matching we can reproduce the standing seams (lead rolls or 'bottles') of these old systems.
The copper roofs on this town house were never very successful. The Permadeck is though!
This lead roof above was on a BRAND NEW block of flats. It leaked. So it was replaced with another lead roof. It leaked too. So we replaced the lead with PERMADECK, which can't leak. Another problem solved with Permadeck. Imitation lead rolls can be fitted if the roof is visible, in this case only the birds could see it and the developer was glad to get rid of them!
Simulated copper - we’ve re-roofed a number of these town houses and they look really 1st class when finished.
Permadeck: seamless and mouldable - so many advantages over lead:
1. Permadeck is seamless end-to-end and side-to-side unlike lead that must rely on overlaps at the sides and ends of every piece.
2. Permadeck can be flat or ribbed to suit your aesthetics and the ribs can be any distance apart.
3. Permadeck is ideal for rainwater harvesting. Would you water your vegetables with run-off from a lead roof? Ref: http://www.leadsafeworld.com/solutions/lead-safety-for-roofers-and-rainwater-users/
4. Permadeck has never been stolen; it has no intrinsic value unlike lead. Ref: Google search “Lead roofs stolen” = 8,500,000+ hits!
5. Permadeck is ideal for Warm Roofs since it does NOT require to sit on a ventilated deck as is recommended by English Heritage for their lead roofs (see English Heritage link on the Thermal page).
6. Permadeck is significantly lighter than the equivalent lead roof: 2.5kg/m2 compared with 20kg for Code 4 lead. For a typical 30m2 house extension the roof joists would carry only 75kg of Permadeck, the weight of an average man, or for a covering of lead, a huge 600kg.
7. Simpler joinery: ‘lead steps’ are not required for Permadeck.
8. Better details: gulleys, parapets, outlets, conduits, valleys etc are so easy and effective with mouldable seamless Permadeck.